April 17, 2008

I'm not fine


When I was in Florida I went w/ my in- laws to a beautiful old Catholic church, and the sermon that day really spoke to me. The priest asked how often we really tell people how we are feeling. I think this was an interesting thing to ponder. You know, whenever you see somebody the first thing you say is "How are you?" We all expect the response to be "Fine." Does anybody ever want to hear that things aren't going well? Do we really have time to listen to other people's problems? Do any of you actually answer the question truthfully? Usually my response to this question is "I'm tired," or "I'm stressed." This is the truth, and to be honest there are times when I could answer that I am really depressed. This seems to be a reoccurring theme in my life. I battle w/ depression and sometimes it overwhelms my life to the point where I don't want to get out of bed in the morning. Right now I am somewhere in the middle, a funk if you will. I have been in this funk since we got back from vacation and I thought that maybe it was time to take that priest's advice. I am sharing my honest feelings with all of you in the hopes that it will help bring me out of the funk. So, there it is. Do me a favor, the next time someone asks how you are try not to answer w/ "fine" unless that is really how you feel!

4 comments:

  1. Katie, we all go through days where we might be in a slump or feel down, your not alone. Hope this nice weather and beautiful sunshine God has given us will cheer you up and lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're here if you need us! I'm so sorry you are going through this...maybe getting outside like Rachel said would help. And kissing your babies probably wouldn't hurt either. :) Love, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope that joining us to go to the BIG BANG! help you get out of your funk. This will give you a time to have fun, dance, sing and drink and relax a little. Looking forward to a great evening.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie...
    I'll pray for you.
    Hoping you can get out of your "funk" and back to being the fun, happy you!
    I'm here if you need to talk!

    Leah

    ReplyDelete