February 19, 2009

In the Kitchen

Baked potato soup 7


I love to cook. I truly do enjoy it. I love to bake too. Even though I do appreciate a good meal out (like I had on Valentine's Day) I am trying to cook at home more. We have our staples of course; tacos, homemade pizza, spaghetti Mondays. But, I also look forward to trying out new recipes and getting a thumbs up or thumbs down from my hubby. I always ask him, "Can I make this again?" He is usually honest with me because he has learned over the years that I don't want to waste my time making a meal that he doesn't like or won't eat. Well this winter I found a new recipe that he just loves. According to him, it is his new favorite meal. It is for a Loaded Baked Potato Soup, and I have been wanting to share it for a while now. But, you won't be seeing it here. Because a few months back, Chris' cousin Krista started a blog of her own called Krista's Kitchen. She is a former "Home Ec" teacher turned stay-at-home mom and an excellent cook. I have always admired her gingerbread cookies at holiday get-togethers along with all of the other goodies that she brings. She makes simple, well balanced meals that taste great. I have been following her from the beginning and have made quite a few of her recipes. Today I have the honor of being her first guest "chef". So, if you would like to see my recipe for Loaded Baked Potato Soup, you'll have to drop by Krista's Kitchen and check it out there!

101_2043


Speaking of cooking, my kiddos love to help me cook. Sometimes they want to help so much that they just get in the way. But, I try to find little things for them to do like pouring pre-measured ingredients into a bowl or stirring something. They are constantly running to see who can climb up the lazy Susan the fastest and help mommy. Many days I just wish I could cook in peace and get dinner on the table. But, I try not to be too quick to push them away. I know the day will come when they no longer covet that spot next to me on the kitchen counter. Until then I will continue to let them help as much as possible. Even if that means that after pouring the milk into the mashed potatoes, Reagan hands the measuring cup to Jack and lets him drink what little is left.

3 comments:

  1. I like your recipe better than mine because mine uses baked potatoes which are harder to cube because they crumble. I will have to try it your way, it appears to be the same recipe only the potatoes are prepared differently. Oh man, we are going to have to finish up that batch of vegetable soup so I can try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, I can not wait to try it. That picture of the kids was so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh! I'm so excited to go try that recipe! My husband LOVES potato soup and I've been trying hard to find just the right recipe. I agree: it is a waste of time to make something he isn't a huge fan of. Thanks for sharing!! It looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete