February 20, 2009

I'd Like to Thank the Academy... UPDATED

OKAY PEOPLE, I MUST SAY I AM DISSAPOINTED. WERE MY QUESTIONS JUST TO HARD FOR YOU? ONLY THREE PEOPLE ANSWERED AT ALL. WELL THE WINNER IS SARA, AND I MUST ADMIT I'M NOT SURPRISED! GO PLAY HER TRIVIA TODAY, IT IS A HOOT!ANYWAY, WITHOUT FURTHER ADO, HERE ARE THE ANSWERS...

trivia 1

I LOVE award show season! All the celebrities and the beautiful (or not so beautiful) dresses. And it all culminates this weekend with the broadcast of the Academy Awards on Sunday night. I'm a big fan of movies and of actors, so it only makes sense that I like to see them honored for their work. Though my knowledge of more recent movies is probably a little scarce, I used to be a big movie trivia buff. So I was doubly excited when I won the Tuesday Trivia over @ Just sayin' this week. The category was Oscar trivia and I was actually surprised at how much of it I knew ( I only got one wrong). In order to celebrate my accomplishment I am doing what I did last time I won, and passing more trivia along to you. Please play!!! The more the merrier, even if you don't know all of the answers and even if you have to de-lurk to play. I promise it will be worth it. I am not sure what the prize will be yet, but I will try to make it good!

So, here are the rules. Don't cheat! No googling! Leave your answers in the comments and I will review them. I will not post any answers until the end of the contest which will be Sunday night. Good Luck!



1. There have only ever been two women have won Best Actress Oscars for their portrayal of country music legends. Can you name one of them? Reese Witherspoon/Walk the Line and Sissy Spacek/Coal Miner's Daughter

2. Only 8 foreign language films have ever been nominated in the Best Picture category. Can you name any of them? Grand Illusion (1938), Z (1969), The Emigrants (1972), Cries and Whispers (1973), The Postman/Il Postino (1995) Life is Beautiful (1998), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (2000), and Letters from Iwo Jima (2006)



trivia 2



3. Kate Winslet is nominated for Best Actress this year for "The Reader". It is her 6th nomination and she has never won. Two of her previous nominations came for films in which she played a younger version of a character whose older acting counterpart was also nominated. Can you name either one of those characters and/or the films? Rose DeWitt Bukater/Titanic and Iris Murdoch/Iris




4. There has only been one director in Oscar history to direct both his father and daughter to Oscar winning performances. Who is he? John Huston. His father was Walter Huston/The Treasure of Sierra Madre and his daughter is Angelica Huston/Prizzi's Honor




5. What is the most recent film to win Best Picture that also took home the awards for Best Actor and Actress, and who were they? ("You make me wanna be a better man") As Good as it Gets, Joack Nicholson and Helen Hunt



trivia 3



6. I love Oscar fashion. Who wore this dress and what movie did she win her Best Actress statue for? Julia Roberts/ Erin Brockovich (2000)



7. One of this year's nominated actresses has the most nominations in Oscar history. This is her 15th nomination, and she has won twice. Who is she? Meryl Streep



8. In the entire history of the Oscars there have only been 10 awards given to African American performers. One actor has two of them. Who is he? Denzel Washington, he won best supporting actor for Glory and best actor for Training Day



trivia 4



9. This year Heath Ledger is nominated for his role in "The Dark Knight". If he wins he will be only the second actor to receive a posthumous award. The first was Peter Finch for his role in what movie pictured here? Network



10. He won back to back Best Actor awards in 1993 and 1994. Who is he and what are the names of the movies he won for? Tom Hanks, Philadelphia and Forrest Gump



BONUS* I will award bonus points to anyone who answer this simple question. What is your favorite movie. One answer only please!

4 comments:

  1. These are good, Katie!

    1. Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash
    2. Life is Beautiful
    3. Rose Dewitt Bukater (sp) in Titanic
    4. -
    5. As Good as it Gets :) Jack Nicholson and Helen Hunt
    6. That's Julia Roberts! For Erin Brockovich?
    7. Meryl Streep
    8. Denzel Washington?
    9. -
    10. Tom Hanks, Philadelphia and Forrest Gump
    Bonus: The Goonies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am absolutely HORRIBLE at this. I can answer (maybe) the first and the bonus. :)

    1) Sissy Spacek for Coal Miners Daughter????

    and the last question.... of course, has to be
    "When Harry met Sally."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The questions were too hard! Bonus: Pretty Woman.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I would have played along..So sorry I missed this. I will have to watch the above video after the kiddos are in bed...

    ReplyDelete