July 24, 2008

A Sad Day...

This morning I am without words. My brother J.C. spent the night @ my house and when he called home this morning my dad told him that my sister Ally's new puppy Jude had died. I called him back to find out what had happened and all I found out was that somehow he got his head stuck in an empty Pringles can in Ally's room. Apparently he couldn't get it out and he suffocated. I am so upset, I hardly have words for it. I am angry and sad all @ the same time. I have a great weakness in my heart for animals and I am just beside myself thinking of how this poor dog suffered. Now, in all honesty this was not the first dog my parents have had in the last few years. I can't even begin to tell you how many they have bought and then given away in the last 10 years. I seriously don't think I could even remember all of their names. But, I had a soft spot for this one. For one thing, he was so cute! For another, growing up we had a dachshund named Odie and Jude reminded me of him. I will admit that when my mom told they gotten another dog I was pessimistic. I think I called her crazy and made a bet w/ my older brother that he wouldn't last 4 months. I wish now I hadn't said that. The minute I saw Jude he won me over, I was hooked. Just last night while I waited for J.C. to get his stuff I stood @ the door and held this dog as he licked my face, so excited to see me. The other thing about his death (that is upsetting me) is how do I explain this to my kids? I am so tired of having to tell them why these dogs that they fall in love with go away. I don't think my parents realize how attached my kids get to them. Then I have to tell them that Grandma gave the puppy away for whatever reason. I still remember 3 dogs ago was a little chiuahua/terrier mix named Ginger. For the longest time Dee Dee would ask Grandma "where Ginga?" It broke my heart. I guess I don't have to tell them Jude died, but either way it is a loss for them. I am at a loss, any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Here are some pics I took of Jude a few months back...




1 comment:

  1. Tell them the truth. You don't have to go into details, but telling the truth now, will make future situations much easier to deal with because you will have a point of reference. Just remember, our kids are much more perceptive and resilient than we know. I will be praying for you to find the "right" words for them. :)

    ReplyDelete