August 18, 2008

A Close "Call"


There is something in a person's voice over the phone, that you can just sense, and know when something is wrong. I have had too many of those phone calls in my life. Saturday afternoon I got another one. It was my sister-in-law Rachael. I knew it the minute I heard her voice, and I went into panic mode. I held my breath as she told me that Chris' brother Miah had been in a plane crash. I wish that she had prefaced this news with the fact that he was okay, (hence my title for this post) because for a few seconds the worst case scenario flashed through my mind. He IS fine, he just has minor cuts and bruises. Let's just say that God was watching over him. He was flying to a auction in Illinois with a friend when they started having engine trouble. The friend, who was also the pilot did some quick thinking. Even though they crash landed, he must have known what he was doing and picked the perfect place to land. Above is the picture that was taken at the scene and here is the excerpt from the local newspaper in the town where they landed.
KSDK -- A small plane made an emergency landing Saturday in Sparta, Illinois. The pilot was having engine trouble and attempted to land the Cessna 182 in an open area behind the Dollar General on Route 4. Once on the ground, the pilot couldn't stop. The plane rolled between the store and another building, crossing the parking lot and came to rest in a ditch along the road. Despite the bumpy landing, no one was hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment