
There was a story in the news today that says Hallmark is releasing a line of same-sex wedding cards. Basically it says that since Massachusetts and California have legalized gay marriage there is now a need for greeting cards to help people celebrate. I mean, how did anyone find an appropriate wedding card for Ellen and Portia? Personally, I find this news exciting! I love greeting cards and any excuse for me to give or receive them is fun! On a personal level it gives me hope, it means that we as a nation are evolving. But, I am not naive. I know that there will be mixed opinions out there. I would like to think that fifty years from now, the stance against homosexuality will be looked upon as the second civil rights movement. I think most people agree that slavery was wrong and that the color of some one's skin doesn't make them any less human. Neither does their sexuality, and I believe that everyone has the same rights to the benefits of a civil union as it is recognized by our government. A lot of religious people balk at the idea of gay "marriage" and I get that. However, I refuse to accept that if my brother were seriously injured or dying that Kevin would not be allowed in his ICU room. Or, that even though it is perfectly fine for me and my kids to be medically insured through Chris, Shawn and Kev don't have that option. I realize that those are not the only issues at stake, but those are the ones that stick out to me. So if you disagree, fine... don't buy the darn cards. But, I for one commend Hallmark and thank them for recognizing that this was a niche that needed to be filled. Now, if only I could find a card that says, "Happy First Day of School to My New Teacher, Who Also Happens to Be My Grandma!" Think they've thought of those yet?





No comments:
Post a Comment