Until somebody gets poked in the eye with a pencil! Yes, this did actually happen at our house tonight. God must be smiling on me because we are
so lucky that no serious damage was done! Let me back up a bit. Tonight Chris was working and so I was on my own in the parenting department. I had just feed the kids dinner and I was standing at the sink cleaning up the usual mess. That was when I heard Jack scream. I turned around just in time to see Dee Dee running the opposite way with a pencil in her hand. When I looked at Jack there was blood gushing out of his eye. I panicked, I'll admit it. I screamed at Dee and I immediately got a wet paper towel and ice pack for the eye. Jack wasn't screaming too bad, so I was hoping for the best. I popped Dee Dee on the poto(Spanish for bottom) and set her in the corner. I took a breath and called my mom. Isn't that what we moms always do? I was thinking emergency room and my mom reminded me that our eye doctor is a friend of Chris' family and lives two houses down from his parents. So I called Dr. Thallemer and he said to come on over. I dropped the girls @ Nini's(Chris' mom) and then went to his house. He looked at it and luckily none of his actual eye was affected. He did have a little gash in his eyelid, but it's nothing that can't be healed with Neosporin. After the adrenaline rush I am just trying to wind down a bit! The kids are finally in bed, and Chris won't be home until 12. I guess I'll spend some time on the computer catching up on blogs or maybe go watch one of my many shows that the DVR recorded this week! What a wonderful device! Hope you all enjoy your evening/morning whatever the case may be.
Sorry the picture isn't great,it is fuzzy and I waited too long to take it. But, you can tell his eye really does look fine. It did look worse earlier, however it would have been truly cruel of me to take a picture while blood was still pouring out of his eye!

Here is a better shot from this morning, see is eye is only a little red. Please excuse the snotty nose we are all battling a cold around here!

What a scare! I'm glad he is okay, these kids - good thing we love them!
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid how I'll react in our first real "emergency". I am a panicky type, so I hope I can just hold it together long enough to do what I need to do. I, unfortunately, don't have my mom to call as she passed away almost 7 years ago. I guess I have my MIL so maybe I can go with that option! :o) Glad he's ok and you did a great job!
ReplyDeleteThese little life events are so scary in the midst of them. I tend to pass out after the fact. I have to tell you, I so love reading all your adventures and the gals you link to also. I feel like the older - sometimes wiser (ha!) - been there, done that Mom. I wish I could have journaled every event like this at the time. I did however used to publish little monthly newsletters on my desktop before I got lured into the scrapbooking craze.
ReplyDeleteAnyhow, the other day when you ran into my two darlings, I suspect it was Tuesday afternoon when they had an early dismissal and they "disappeared" without permission. I noticed Kolt had a new bionocle, which is the "price" of his silence. Ornery kids, I love them to death and its a darned good thing!
Oh Katie! Whew...how scary! So glad things are okay. I'm sure you handled it like a pro! He's a cutie patootie!
ReplyDelete